e-TAX - About e-TAX (10)
- Why is IRD launching e-TAX?
E-Tax is a convenient step toward ensuring that taxpayers receive the desired information at the easiest and timely way possible thereby fulfilling tax obligations in an effective manner.
- How do I access e-TAX?
Go to etax.ird.gov.tt
- What services are currently available on e-TAX?
E-Tax offers logged on and non-logged on services.
The following services are available as a logged in service on E-Tax:
- View Profile
- Request a Payment Plan
- Create/Maintain Tax Account
- Request an Objection
- View Balances and Expectations
- File Returns
- Generate Payment Slips
- View Correspondence
The following services are available as a non-logged in service on E-Tax:
- Search for a Request
- Register for a BIR Number
- Submit Documentation
- Search VAT Status
- View Refund Status
- Calculate Stamp Duty
- How do I register for logged in services?
To access E-Tax logged in services you must first apply for a ttconnect ID and show proof of your BIR number or a company's BIR number for which you are a director.
- How to apply for a ttconnect ID and register for e-TAX logged in services?
Visit the ttconnect website and complete the online registration form. For ease of reference, the direct link to the ttconnect ID Registration page is as follows: https://www.ttconnect.gov.tt/itim_expi/selfregister.jsp
After creating the account you will receive two (2) e-mails. The first contains a ttconnect ID Activation Link. Clicking on that link will trigger a second e-mail containing your unique thirteen (13) digit ttconnect ID Number. We advise that you check your Junk, Spam and Trash folders should the message not be seen in your Inbox Folder. Once the ttconnect ID has been received, you must visit a ttconnect Service Centre in person to be verified.
To register for E-Tax services you need to present to the ttconnect Service Center personnel proof of your BIR number and/or a company's BIR number for which you are a director and for which you wish to access online services.
- Who can register for an e-TAX profile?
Persons or business entities that are already registered as qualified taxpayers are encouraged to use e-services.
- How will we be informed when more services are made available on e-TAX?
You will be informed of this via the IRD's website ( www.ird.gov.tt) or on E-tax portal.
- Is the use of e-TAX and its services compulsory?
E-Tax is an option provided and it is not compulsory to register.
- What are the benefits of using IRD's e-TAX service?
It is a convenient method to view and update your taxes. It saves time and you are able to access information regarding the payments and queries submitted.
- What browser does e-TAX work best on, or does it not matter?
E-Tax is available and works on most browsers including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
e-TAX - Electronic Filing (14)
- What is electronic filing?
Electronic filing is a method of filing tax returns where the taxpayer information is transmitted to the revenue agencies electronically over the Internet, a modem, or a phone line.
- Why should I electronically file my tax return?
Electronic filing offers you many benefits that you cannot get through paper filing, such as:
- Faster refunds using direct deposit
- Accuracy -- tax preparation software does calculations for you
- Receipt so you know your tax returns have been filed
- Speeds up processing of your tax returns
- Reduces costs for the Department of Revenue which saves you tax dollars
- Secure transfer of your personal information
- What are the costs involved in electronic filing?
The costs will vary depending on your choice of electronic filing method. Many tax professionals prefer e-filing and encourage their clients to use it by not charging an additional fee. Other tax professionals incorporate the e-filing fee into their cost of doing business.
- How long does it take to prepare and transmit an electronic tax return?
Simple returns can be prepared in approximately 20 minutes. More complicated returns can take up to 2 hours or more to prepare. Transmitting an electronic tax return usually takes a few minutes.
- Is electronic filing secure?
Yes. No one sees your tax information except you, and the Board of Inland Revenue. There are no worries about mail delivery or paper shuffling or inappropriate people seeing your personal or financial information. Internet companies that provide online tax preparation use the industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol to encrypt your personal data.
- Will my chances of being audited increase if I electronically file?
No. If there are certain mistakes on your electronic return you will be notified within 24-72 hours.
- Can all income tax forms and schedules be filed electronically?
Only returns and income tax payments can be filed electronically
- Is electronic filing completely paperless?
Yes, normally, e-filing is completely paperless.
After you have submitted your electronic return, you should:
- Print and/or save a copy of your return;
- Keep copies of the return and other documents used to complete your return; and
- Keep all tax records and documents at least four years (the department may request these documents at a later date).
- What payment alternatives are offered?
- Cash Payment
- Pay by cheque
- When can I start making electronic payments?
At this time BIR will not accept online payments and only payment description scripts can be printed by the user.
- How can I ensure timely payment?
E-Services can be accessed throughout the day and alerts can be sent to you via email to prompt when payment is required.
- Do I need to send in the payment vouchers or tax returns if I make electronic payments?
Most tax types require that you file a corresponding tax return in order to make payment.
- What if the tax due date falls on a weekend or legal holiday?
You should initiate your payment on the day prior to the due date. However, when the regular due date falls on a weekend or legal holiday, the payment is due the next business day immediately following the weekend or holiday.
- Can I electronically file an amended return?
Yes you can refile a return when it is correctly amended
e-TAX - Refunds (14)
- Is it possible to receive refund through a foreign bank account?
Due to international banking restrictions it is not possible for refunds through foreign bank account.
- What information is required in case I have to receive a refund?
You will be informed as to when your refund will be ready for collection via email or telephone. You will be required to produce valid identification (ID card, Passport, and Driving Permit) upon collection.
- My address has changed, and I have not received my refund which was issued. What should I do?
You should contact the BIR (800-TAXX) as soon as possible.
- If I have read through the FAQs but I still have concerns, is there a number I can call for assistance?
You can call the IRD office at 800-TAXX or our call center for advice.
- I have forgotten my e-Tax username/password, what do I do?
A Taxpayer can select a security question that he will need to save and provide an answer when he is prompted. If he /she forgot the answer he will be required to call IRD at 800-TAXX to reset his username and password.
- In case issues arise, can I add contacts to my account through which I can be reached?
A call center will be established so that queries can be resolved when using E-Services.
- How long would processing of returns take online?
The processing of the return can vary depending on the number return batches and if all the relevant information is provided.
- I forgot my password can you help me?
A Taxpayer can select a security question that he will need to save and provide an answer when he is prompted.
- I have locked myself out of the system by typing in my password incorrectly too many times.
You will be required to call the IRD Head office and someone will reset the password. The number is 800-TAXX.
- If I am having computer problems, can I file and pay my taxes with a paper form?
Yes, You can file your return manually; however, if you are mandated to file Electronic payments you must contact IRD to arrange for other alternatives to avoid any penalty.
- Due to computer problems my transactions did not go through making my return late. Can I request a Penalty Waiver On-Line?
No. A taxpayer can download a Penalty Waiver request form from our IRD Website. He must complete the form and mail it to the IRD Office.
- I'm having difficulties using e-TAX. Who can I contact for help?
If possible use the Contact Us function on the Website. If not, call IRD for assistance.
- In case the user desires to convey something by way of separate note which may be essential, is a separate space provided.
Users may leave notices at any time in their profile under the Notices tab.
- I no longer want to access my accounts in e-TAX. How do I cancel my access?
After logging into E-Services, select the "my profile" link to open your E-Services user profile. On this profile page, use the "Active" button. If you change your mind later and decide that you want to access your accounts in E-Services again, you will have to complete to return to this page and select Active again.